WHAT CAUSES ACNE SCARRING?
When acne breakouts penetrate into the deeper layers of the skin, they cause damage to the underlying tissues and innermost skin layers (dermis). As the acne heals, the body’s natural repair mechanism is triggered and collagen is produced to support this reparative process. However, if too little collagen is produced a depressed acne scar will develop, which can appear as a depression, pit, or pockmark on the surface of the skin. If too much collagen is produced, a raised acne scar can develop (raised scarring is more prevalent among patients with darker skin tones).
Although it is impossible to predict exactly who will develop acne scarring, certain factors do appear to contribute to this condition:
- Swollen, reddish, inflamed, or painful acne (i.e. cysts, nodules)
- Chronic inflammatory acne due to a delay or lack of treatment
- Picking, popping, or squeezing acne
- Genetic predisposition to acne scarring
TREATMENTS FOR ACNE SCARRING
At Dr. Q™ Medical Spa, located in Rancho Mirage, CA, Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Suzanne Quardt (Dr. Q™) offers a variety of cutting-edge, non-invasive treatment options for acne- and injury-related scarring to smooth and even out the surface of the skin:
- Skin Resurfacing: Palomar’s multi-wavelength laser platform and Cosmelan’s revolutionary eMatrix™ Complete Sublative Rejuvenation system (powered by radiofrequency energy) provide both ablative and non-ablative skin resurfacing treatment options to target acne- and injury-related scarring, as well as other textural irregularities marring the skin’s surface
- The eMatrix ™ system is a non-laser and non-light−based treatment that directs powerful fractionated bi-polar radio frequency (RF) heat energy to the inner layers of the skin (dermis), where it produces significant deep tissue improvements. eMatrix™ acts to “jump start” your body’s healing capabilities and stimulate the growth of new collagen, all without damaging the surface of the skin, which allows for minimal post-treatment downtime
- Laser skin resurfacing treatments utilize fractionated laser technology to smooth the skin’s surface by stimulating the growth of new skin cells to help fill in acne scars. Ablative lasers vaporize the scar, while non-ablative lasers activate the production of collagen without damaging the surface of the skin.
- IPL Photofacial: Palomar’s IPL (intense pulsed light) photofacials are useful tools to improve the appearance of raised, discolored scars and other textural abnormalities on the surface of the skin
- Injectable Dermal Fillers: dermal filler injections (i.e. Restylane, Juvederm, Perlane) can help fill in the indentations left behind from deep acne scars and pockmarks
- Chemical Peel (derma peeling, chemexfoliation): this minimally invasive skin rejuvenation treatment involves the use of chemical solutions to exfoliate and strip away the damaged, scarred, discolored skin cells to reveal smoother skin with a more evenly balanced texture and color
- Pharmaceutical Strength Skincare Products: we are pleased to offer the specialized at-home scar treatment bioCorneum®+, which is an advanced silicone scar treatment marketed solely to Plastic Surgeons and Dermatologists. This remarkable treatment contains SPF 30 and active ingredients to prevent scar formation while significantly improving the appearance of existing scars. We also offer a number of medical grade skincare products from industry leaders such as SkinMedica®, mybody®, and VisãoMD. These powerful products are formulated with a proven balance of potent active ingredients to improve textural abnormalities such as scarring while smoothing, toning, and conditioning the skin
CONTACT DR. Q™ MEDICAL SPA
Situated in beautiful Rancho Mirage, California, Dr. Q™ Medical Spa has become an oasis for patients seeking a tranquil reprieve from the chaotic pace of everyday life while receiving non-invasive, yet highly-effective skin rejuvenation and body contouring treatments. Unparalleled patient care is the foundation of Dr. Q™’s cosmetic surgery practice, and she extends this exceptional level of service, attentiveness, and commitment to client satisfaction to her medical spa, where she offers a variety of customizable treatments designed to accommodate her patients’ diverse needs and aesthetic goals.
If would like additional information about any of our non-invasive skin treatments to improve the appearance of acne- and/or injury-related scars, please contact Dr. Q™ Medical Spa today. We look forward to speaking with you, and to scheduling your initial consultation with Dr. Q™.