WHAT IS HYPERPIGMENTATION?
Hyperpigmentation is the general term for skin disorders resulting from abnormal increases in the production of melanin (the natural substance responsible for giving the skin its color). Elevated melanin levels initiate a pigment change that darkens the skin, detracting from its youthfully even-toned appearance. Although hyperpigmentation is often hereditary, external factors can contribute to this type of skin discoloration as well (i.e. sun exposure, acne, and certain medications/drugs).
Hyperpigmentation may present in a number of different forms:
- Stain: wine colored or brown skin discoloration
- Solar Lentigenes: sun spots, freckles
- Chloasma: liver spots
- Melasma: irregular patches of dark spots or brown skin often caused by hormonal changes and typically found on the cheeks, forehead, upper lip, and nose
- Vascular Dyschromia: sun-induced redness
- Nevus: birthmark
- Tan: skin darkening that occurs when excess melanin is produced as the body’s defense mechanism from the UV rays of the sun
- Pigmented Lesions: skin spots (i.e. moles) that are black or brown
TREATMENTS FOR HYPERPIGMENTATION
At Dr. Q™ Medical Spa, located in Rancho Mirage, CA, Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Suzanne Quardt (Dr. Q™) is pleased to offer advanced, non-invasive treatment options aimed at treating the underlying causes of hyperpigmentation to restore a smoother, more evenly toned appearance to the skin:
- IPL Photofacial: Palomar’s IPL (intense pulsed light) photofacial applications are ideally suited for patients suffering from dyschromia, which is a condition marked by an alteration of color on the skin, such as hypopigmentation (light patches on the skin/vitiligo) and hyperpigmentation (dark patches on the skin/melasma)
- Chemical Peel (derma peeling, chemexfoliation): this minimally invasive skin rejuvenation treatment involves the use of chemical solutions to exfoliate and strip away the damaged, discolored, outermost layers of the skin (epidermis), in order to reveal smoother skin with a more evenly balanced texture and color
- Skin Resurfacing: Palomar’s multi-wavelength laser platform and Cosmelan’s revolutionary eMatrix™ system (powered by radiofrequency energy) provide both ablative and non-ablative treatment options to target aging, hyperpigmented, acne-prone, and sun-damaged skin. Laser skin resurfacing facilitates the gentle removal of damaged skin cells while triggering the body’s natural healing mechanism to stimulate the production of collagen and new, healthy skin cells, effectively rejuvenating the condition and appearance of the skin!
- Pharmaceutical Strength Skincare Products: we offer a number of medical grade skincare products from industry leaders such as SkinMedica®, mybody®, and VisãoMD. These powerful products are formulated with a proven balance of potent active ingredients to improve problematic pigmentation issues while smoothing, toning, and conditioning the skin
CONTACT DR. Q™ MEDICAL SPA
Situated in beautiful Rancho Mirage, California, Dr. Q™ Medical Spa has become an oasis for patients seeking a tranquil reprieve from the chaotic pace of everyday life while receiving non-invasive, yet highly-effective skin rejuvenation and body contouring treatments. Unparalleled patient care is the foundation of Dr. Q™’s cosmetic surgery practice, and she extends this exceptional level of service, attentiveness, and commitment to client satisfaction to her medical spa, where she offers a variety of customizable treatments designed to accommodate her patients’ diverse needs and aesthetic goals.
If would like additional information about any of our non-invasive skin treatments to improve the appearance of hyperpigmentation and skin discoloration, please contact Dr. Q™ Medical Spa today. We look forward to speaking with you, and to scheduling your initial consultation with Dr. Q™.