Almost 30 percent of the people in the United States have at least one tattoo. Among the millennials, this figure is around 50 percent.
But over time, some people may regret their decision to get a permanent tattoo. At some point in time, up to 25 percent of people feel unhappy about getting a tattoo.
People who feel regretful about getting a permanent tattoo can now seek laser tattoo removal to help eliminate undesirable tattoos with almost no side-effects. Dr. Q Med Spa, led by board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Suzanne Quardt, provides laser tattoo removal to patients in Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, and surrounding locations.
How Laser Tattoo Removal Works
Precise lasers remove tattoos by breaking down the pigment colors through a high-intensity light beam. Dark tattoo pigment absorbs the most laser wavelengths.
Therefore, black tattoo pigment is the easiest to eliminate. Only specific lasers can remove other colors, depending on the pigment in the tattoo.
An individual seeking tattoo removal should consult a qualified surgeon or laser professional who can assess the condition of their tattoo and offer recommendations on its removal.
The number of sessions will depend on the age, size, and color of the tattoo. The tattoo removal technique will also depend on the depth of the tattoo pigment.
When undergoing laser tattoo removal treatment, the following steps will be undertaken:
- The person seeking tattoo removal will be provided with protective eye shields.
- The treatment provider will evaluate the response of the skin to the laser to identify the most appropriate level of laser treatment.
- The provider will use a laser to deliver intense light pulses through the topmost skin layer. The energy will only be absorbed by the tattoo pigment.
More substantial tattoos will require a higher level of laser energy to be removed effectively. Regardless, permanent tattoo removal will take many treatment sessions to eliminate the tattoo completely. After each treatment session, the tattoo will become lighter.
The laser removal procedure will lead to some discomfort, but most patients do not need anesthesia. The provider may use a topical anesthetic cream on the treatment area before the laser procedure, depending on the location of the tattoo.
Following the session, the provider will promptly apply an ice pack to the treated area to soothe the site. Additionally, they will use an antibiotic or ointment and bandage to protect the treated area. The patient should ensure that they apply sun block cream to the treated site when they go outdoors.
Choose a Qualified Laser Specialist
Laser treatment is usually safer than various other tattoo elimination techniques as laser selectively treats tattoo pigments. Also, there are very few side effects as long as the patient chooses to work with an experienced provider.
When a person works with a qualified and experienced laser tattoo removal specialist, the risk of the below mentioned potential side effects would be minimized:
- The treated area (site of the tattoo removal) is at a higher risk for developing an infection. There also exists a minor possibility of permanent scarring.
- The tattoo will likely not be removed completely. In many cases, the removal of certain colors is more efficient in comparison to others. For instance, blue and black tattoos respond better to treatment.
- There is a chance of developing hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation.
- After this treatment, cosmetic tattoos such as lip liner, eyeliner, and eyebrows may become darker.
Dr. Q Med Spa receives patients from Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, and nearby areas for laser tattoo removal.
For more information on Plastic Surgery and Non-Surgical Medical Spa Procedures and Treatments in the Rancho Mirage, Palm Springs, Palm Desert and surrounding areas please contact the offices of Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Dr. Suzanne Quardt (Dr. Q) by clicking here or calling 760-324-2660.