Birthmarks correlate with congenital, unsubstantial skin aberrations which exist at birth or appear shortly afterward, often in the first month. These irregularities can manifest anywhere on the skin.
Various reasons can lead to birthmarks, such as excess pigmentation or grouping of blood vessels. Laser med spa treatments can address all kinds of birthmarks. But some types may require a higher number of treatment sessions than others.
Laser therapy involves the use of an intense but gentle light beam on birthmarks without causing damage to the surrounding tissue. It may sound severe to have a birthmark removed with a laser, but it is actually an advanced and predictable treatment.
In this procedure, the practitioner will use a laser with a light wave chosen for the particular color of the birthmark to disintegrate the mark until it fades away. This disintegration will occur over the course of several treatments and does not cause any scarring.
Dr. Q Medical Spa, led by board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Suzanne Quardt (Dr. Q), provides laser skin rejuvenation treatments to patients in Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, and surrounding locations.
Key Attributes of Laser Light Therapy for Birthmarks
- Birthmarks can be medically handled with laser/light therapy.
- Lightening of 70 to 90 percent is a reasonable expectation.
- Treatments can be performed repetitively every one to three months, depending on the type of birthmark, until the patient’s objective is accomplished.
- The pain and recovery duration is minimal.
- The procedure is non-invasive in nature.
Which Laser Birthmark Removal Treatment is Right for you?
The laser that is used for this med spa treatment will depend upon the type and color of birthmark that the patient has, and the provider will confirm this during the initial consultation.
In the situation of vascular birthmarks, the treatment provider may use a more intensive laser technique involving the delivery of a laser light beam to heat up the compromised blood vessels that form the birthmark. This will cause the blood vessels to collapse and restrict blood from flowing into the region, which will fade the birthmark.
An Impressive Laser
An ND Yag laser may be used on pigmented birthmarks. The energy delivered by the laser beam disintegrates the cluster of accumulated pigment cells into tiny pieces, which are then naturally eliminated by the body’s immune system. This will cause the birthmark to fade.
What to Expect after the Procedure
- The patient may not see any major difference until several weeks after the treatment.
- The treated region may be pink or red for a period of four to eight hours after the treatment.
- Patients may experience a mild stinging sensation, similar to a mild sunburn, in the treated region. This sensation typically resolves within four to six hours.
- Moist cloths or cool packs may be applied to reduce the feeling.
- Mild inflammation in the treated site typically goes away after several days. The feeling is more benign after every day goes by.
Patients should also:
- Avoid the use of lotion, makeup, deodorant, perfume, or any potential irritants to the treated site for either 24 hours or until all signs of stinging and redness have resolved.
- Apply a reliable and respectable moisturizing lotion to the treated site twice a day for the duration of the treatments and for at least three months after the last treatment episode.
Dr. Q Medical Spa receives patients from Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, and nearby areas for laser skin rejuvenation treatment.
For more information on Plastic Surgery and Non-Surgical Medical Spa Procedures and Treatments in the Rancho Mirage, Palm Springs, Palm Desert and surrounding areas please contact the offices of Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Dr. Suzanne Quardt (Dr. Q) by clicking here or calling 760-324-2660.
Schedule a Consultation: (760) 537.4579